Practice Management – in a Chambers Director role
- Chambers Director Enterprise Chambers (1998-2000) – responsible for the overall business strategy, financial oversight and day-to-day management of Chambers.
- Development and implementation of a targeted chambers’ business development strategy.
- Responsible for HR and staff / clerk recruitment.
- Responsible for client liaison and complaints handling.
- Conducting practice reviews with chambers’ members to align their strategic career development plans and marketing activities with team and chambers’ business plans.
Professional development, training and executive coaching
- Bar Council accredited trainer for public access work – having trained and qualified over 1,000 barristers for the skills, organisation and business acumen needed to undertake public access work successfully.
- Executive coach for newly-appointed managers, team leaders/ members and career and exit coaching.
- Highly-accomplished trainer delivering personal skills courses to law firms and chambers with high levels of buy-in and feedback.
- Negotiation specialist with ENS international – providing training and consultancy, both nationally and internationally. The ENS process is proven to achieve a higher proportion of successful outcomes resulting in increased profitability levels.
- Head of Training and Professional Development at both DLA Piper (1992-1997) and Herbert Smith (1997-1998)
Business development and marketing
- Conducting client reviews to maintain and build existing client relationships and identify future business development opportunities.
- External business development consultancy with chambers and law firms including website information, client seminar preparation and presentation and profile-raising initiatives.
- Design and delivery of sales coaching for law firm property and family teams.
- Design and delivery of an effective writing skills programme for a marketing team.
- Responsible for the overall management and implementation of publicity, business development and marketing strategy at Enterprise Chambers.
- Development of Enterprise Chambers’ website and implementation of profile-raising and marketing
initiatives e.g. targeted, timely seminars, network training and event implementation.
Other activities and interests:
Mentor and coach: for MOE Foundation (The Ministry of Entrepreneurship), a charitable foundation
aiming to stimulate the entrepreneurial spirit in young people
Writing and speaking: She is a visiting lecturer at St Mary’s College, The University of Surrey; is a freelance writer for journals such as Legal Week and records sound bites for on-line seminars.
Other interests: Elspeth is a member of and active singer with the City Chorus (London); she visits France as often as possible being a Francophile; likes watching rugby; has an active interest in art and enjoys